Title I Engagement Framework
Constantino's Five Simple Simple Principles to Engage Every Family - Shaping a culture that includes EVERY family – Creating a strategic and systemic approach to family engagement to improve student achievement (Constantino)
Principle 1: A Culture that Engages Every Family
The collective beliefs, attitudes, norms, values, actions and assumptions of the school organization explicitly embrace and are committed to ensuring the notion of families as a foundational core component to improvement and greater student learning and performance.
How is Tarrant Middle School currently implementing Principle 1?
- Embraces all families from different cultural and ethnical backgrounds.
- Scheduling events/activities during day and evening events.
- Encourage families to volunteer.
- Considers the needs of every family (food, clothing, shelter, resources, and support services).
- Community Involvement and Partnerships (Hampton University, Faith-based partners, Healthy Families Partnership, Center for Child and Family Services, resource officials, etc.).
- Every family will have a welcoming, safe and comfortable environment (The Family Resource Center).
Principle 2: Communicate Effectively and Build Relationships
There is consistent evidence of creating environments in the school that are welcoming, respectful and conducive to family engagement. The school places an emphasis on effective communication with every family and stakeholder within the learning community and seeks to build trusting relationships with all families.
How is Tarrant Middle School currently implementing Principle 2?
- Encourage Families to join School Action Teams and PTA
- Seek ways to build trust with families
- Respect of knowledge for all parties
- Active listening/Communication
- Using multiple modes of communication (Ex. Flyers, Connect-Ed, School Marquee, Email, School Website, Family Engagement Website, Word of Mouth, School Calendar, Newsletters, Parent/Teacher conferences, etc.)
Principle 3: Empowering Every Family
Families are recognized as essential members of the learning team for each student – they feel welcome and valued by the school. The school understands that families are important resources because they know their children and the greater community well.
How is Tarrant Middle School currently implementing Principle 3?
- Enlisting Parent volunteers.
- Hosting Parenting Workshops.
- Assisting families with Job searches.
- Providing Job listings.
- Resume and Cover-letter writing assistance provided.
- Internet Usage Training Session for Parents
- HCS HERE! Program Initiative (phone calls/truancy information shared)
- Academic-focused events (Math and Reading)
Principle 4: Family Participation in Decision-making
The school recognizes the entitlement of parents to be consulted and participate in decisions concerning their own children. The school is genuinely inclusive in its approach to decision-making. It recognizes that this type of process creates a sense of shared responsibility among parents, students, community members, educators and administrators.
How is Tarrant Middle School currently implementing Principle 4?
- Hosting workshops/events that support student achievement, which allow opportunities for families to voice concerns and have Q & A sessions.
- Coffee and Talk" Morning Sessions with the Administrative Team.
- Tarrant Action Team - Decision Making.
- PTA Membership encouraged.
- Fall and Spring Family Surveys- Gain Feedback from Families.
- Include parents on school committees
Principle 5: Engage the Greater Community
The school places a strong focus on building and creating partnerships external to the school. The school recognizes the strengths and talents that exist in the communities that influence student learning and development and seeks to use these to strengthen and support the school, students and their families. It also recognizes that the school can be a focal point for communities to come together and engage in capacity building and renewal. The school views itself as an important community asset and has community representatives on the school’s governing body. There is a clear recognition from the school that the greater community plays an integral role in the educational success of the school.
How is Tarrant Middle School currently implementing Principle 5?
- Faith-based partnerships.
- Community Leader Partnerships.
- Local Area Businesses (mentorship programs, support services for families, life skills training).
- Financial Institution Partnerships.
- Local Community Centers.
- Hampton Public Library.